I really love doing posts for each holiday every year. I have two Valentine’s Day posts this year and I’m really proud of both of them! First up are these cupcakes! I’m a huge fan of Karlee’s Kupcakes on Instagram and these are very much inspired by her cakes. One of the skills I wanted to master this year was cake decorating. It was a goal of mine last year, but I had so many buttercream issues that I gave up fairly fast. These are the first cakes I’ve made this year and I’m so proud of them!
- 2 cups of plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- ¾ of a cup of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Preheat oven to 140°C (baking at a lower temperature will help make the cupcakes rise evenly) and line cupcake tray
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda & salt) in a mixing bowl.
- Add all wet ingredients (milk, oil, eggs & vanilla) EXCEPT the boiling water and mix well (on medium-high) with an electric mixer.
- Add the boiling water into the bowl and then mix on a low speed until combined.
- Mix on high for 1 minute.
- Add mix to cupcake tray
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean).
For the buttercream, I used Karlee’s recipe (which is now my new favourite!) and you can find that here on her YouTube. For decorating I used the Wilton 1B piping tip and the Americolor RedRed food colour.
If you saw my NextBeat room over Christmas you may have seen my sprinkle collection (by the way, my baking cupboard has had a complete makeover since then and is completely organised now!). I love those sprinkle mixes that Karlee uses, but they are also insanely expensive. I have so many different types of sprinkles, that I decided to make my own mix.
This is my True Love Sprinkle Mix! I had so much fun making this mix that I will probably do it for every holiday!
These cupcakes are super easy to make and the decorations are so simple and beautiful. If you make these I’d LOVE to see them, so please tweet them to me!
Kayla I’ve said it before you are truly gifted! Those cupcakes turned out great!
Thank you so much, love!
The cupcakes look amazing Kayla your food always looks picture perfect xx
Thank you so much!! x
Wow, you are talented! These look incredible.
Thank you so much!
Omg these look so pretty and I bet they taste gorge!
Thank you! They’re so yum!
Those look delicious! And perfect timing for Valentines Day!
They sound so delicious!
They’re so good!
These look absolutely amazing!
Thank you so much!